Visiting Research Scholar Program
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2013-14 academic year. The application system for 2014-15 will open in late September.
For a list of current scholars, please see our Visiting Research Scholars directory. Each of our visiting scholars gives a lecture during the academic year. These lectures are publicized on the ISAW Events Page.
ISAW's scope embraces research and graduate education in the history, archaeology, and culture of the entire Old World from late prehistoric times to the eighth century AD, including Asia and Africa. Projects of a theoretical or comparative nature relevant to this domain are also welcome. Academic visitors at ISAW should be individuals of scholarly distinction or promise in any relevant field of ancient studies who will benefit from the stimulation of working in an environment with colleagues in other disciplines. Applicants with a history of interdisciplinary exchange are particularly welcome. They will be expected to be in residence at the Institute during the period for which they are appointed and to take part in the intellectual life of the community.
Visiting Research Scholars at ISAW have access to the Institute's own library, as well as to a wide range of other libraries at NYU, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (located a block away), and other institutions in New York City including Columbia University and the New York Public Library. Scholars are provided with their own carrel workspace.
ISAW is prepared to host visiting research scholars in three categories:
(1) Visiting Assistant Professors, appointed for two years. Two such visiting assistant professors will be appointed for 2013-2015. Those who have degrees in hand and will have completed the doctorate within three years of the beginning of the appointment may apply, as well as current doctoral students who will complete all requirements for the degree by June 30, 2013. Holders of these positions are appointed as faculty and will be expected to lead one research seminar at ISAW during the two-year period and teach one undergraduate course in an NYU department each year.
(2) Visiting Research Scholars appointed for one year with full or partial funding from ISAW. These may be at any career stage from postdoctoral to retired; the doctoral degree must be completed no later than June 30, 2013. Applicants in category 1 who are not awarded two-year fellowships will be automatically considered for category 2. Specific appointment details may vary according to situation.
Applicants for categories 1 and 2 are considered in a single competition cycle with a fixed deadline each year.
(3) ISAW is prepared to consider applications from postdoctoral scholars with their own funding from another source. These scholars have the same community privileges as the other two categories and are expected to participate in the Institute’s life in the same fashion but do not receive any financial support from ISAW. Applicants in the category must apply at least one semester in advance of their anticipated start date, although it is recommended that externally-funded scholars submit their application by the December 2nd deadline.
A complete application in any category will include a letter of interest, c.v. (including publication list), a research proposal, 3 letters of recommendation, and a published writing sample. Applicants should have their doctorates in hand by the beginning of their period of appointment at ISAW. Students still in a doctoral program are not eligible for appointment under this program.
All applications should be made through NYU’s online application system. The links for each category are below. The deadline for category 1 and 2 applications is December 2nd, 2012. Do not submit more than one application as applicants not chosen for category 1 are automatically considered for category 2. Applications in category 3 are considered on a rolling basis and should be submitted at least one semester prior to the proposed start date.
(1) Two-Year Visiting Assistant Professor: www.nyuopsearch.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=51300
(2) One-Year Visiting Research Scholar: www.nyuopsearch.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=51297
(3) Externally Funded Visiting Research Scholar: www.nyuopsearch.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=50647
Two-year Visiting Assistant Professors (category 1) are provided with a fixed stipend. In 2012-13 this stipend level is $64,000. This is also the stipend provided to Visiting Research Scholars in category 2 not currently employed, only partially employed, or working in countries where salary levels are substantially different from those in the United States. In the case of visitors with partial or full sabbatical leave salaries from their home institutions or other sources, the Institute will, depending on circumstances, supplement these to provide total compensation comparable to normal salaries or may offer a housing allowance. In addition, visitors in categories 1 and 2 are provided with research allowances to defray the cost of travel to conferences and other out of pocket research expenses.