International Projects

ISAW supports research in various areas with a focus in the ancient world. Many of our faculty, staff, students, and scholars are engaged in various research projects requiring the operation of excavations and projects internationally. Please use the information found in this section to navigate through the procedures of participating in an international project, what to know during the planning stages, and where/how/when you can find support within NYU & ISAW.

Participating in ISAW Excavations and International Projects

NYU Traveler Registration
Per ISAW policy, it is required that travelers register their individual travel for international fieldwork and excavations through NYU Traveler. One can do so from the NYU Traveler website.

Obtaining Travel Releases
All students traveling abroad on NYU organized fieldwork are required to sign ISAW’s Fieldwork Travel Release.

International Health Insurance
All individuals participating in an international project or excavation must have health insurance coverage in case of an emergency.

Students Only:
There is a GeoBlue student health care plan for travel abroad. The plan has a an additional cost associated with it and is unrelated to the health insurance ISAW provides students.

Contact the Student Health Center for enrollment and additional information or see

More information on what coverage students are required to have when participating on ISAW excavation and international projects will be forthcoming. Contact the  with any questions.                        

Public Safety Security Roster
Before the departure of the PI and his/her team, the  will contact all participants for the following participant information for the NYU Public Safety Security Roster:

  • Name - Last
  • Name - First
  • NYU ID (if applicable)
  • NetID (if applicable)
  • Affiliation / Institution
  • Role
  • Email
  • DOB
  • Passport Number
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Arrival Information
  • Departure Information
  • Emergency Contact
  • Traveler local phone number (if applicable)
  • Local Travel Details (if applicable)

It is easiest to send the  a copy of the booked travel itinerary and the photo page of traveler’s passport in order to provide this data.

Recommended Travel Guidelines From the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS)
The NYU Office of Global Services makes several recommendations for international travelers, stated below. We advise all travelers to observe these recommendations.

  • Travel with a valid passport, with at least 6 months validity beyond the expected return date and two blank visa pages
  • Travel with a hard color copy of your passport/visa (carry-on luggage only)
  • Have copies of your passport/visa available electronically (use encryption and secure cloud-based storage)
  • Consider leaving copies of your passport/visa with an individual you would think to contact in an emergency
  • Check for any health related needs or immunization requirements to enter destination country on the websites for the CDC and WHO.
  • Learn more about where you are going. These tools are found in NYU Home. Users must be logged into NYU and use their net ID and password for access:
  • Register your international travel with the appropriate consulate/embassy abroad:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Excavations and International Projects

Do I need to use NYU Traveler to book my flight for my excavation/international fieldwork?
NYU Traveler was created to provide the NYU community with tools and services for their travel needs and to help keep them safer. By booking through Egencia, an NYU preferred agency, your travel plans will be automatically registered with the NYU Traveler trip registration tool, which NYU has created to provide you with up-to-the-minute information of potential threats to your safety during your travels, and to enable NYU to get in touch with you to render aid in the event of an emergency.

Per ISAW policy, although it is not required to book with NYU's preferred agency, it is required that travelers register their travel for international fieldwork and excavations through NYU Traveler. One can do so from the NYU Traveler website.