Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Institute for the Study of the Ancient World



You are here: Home > Guide > Financial Resources > International Projects

International Projects

ISAW supports research in various areas with a focus in the ancient world. Many of our faculty, staff, students, and scholars are engaged in various research projects requiring the operation of excavations and projects internationally. Please use the information found in this section to navigate through the procedures of operating an international project, what to know during the planning stages, and where/how/when you can find support within NYU & ISAW.


The following is the general procedure for conducting ISAW operated excavations and international projects.

Note that these guidelines cover general procedure and required documentation. Due to the unique nature of many fieldwork projects, additional documentation or procedures may be required depending on circumstance.

All excavations and international projects are subject to NYU's Business Expense Policy and NYU's Expense Reimbursement Policy as well as ISAW's internal Financial Policies and Guidelines.

Planning International Projects

Security Assessment

If you are proposing a new project that is not already an established ISAW activity, or you have not previously met with NYU Public Safety regarding your project, Principal Investigators should have a meeting with the NYU Public Safety Director of Global Security Operations Center and the Senior Director of Insurance & Enterprise Risk Management .

The meeting can be arranged at request by the .

The role of public safety is to serve the university and keep NYU community members safe. The public safety team can do extensive security assessments or address quick ad hoc questions as needed from the faculty. A full assessment of the situation could include potential hotels on location, as well as the overall situation at the any site, and provide recommendations on alternative forms of communications.

Timeline for a security assessment:

  • For established sites (wanting more of an overview/situational awareness): contact 1-2 weeks before travel.
  • For un-established/high-risk sites: contact as early as possible.

For both, more detail is better, but at the least provide:

  • cities where people are staying
  • what type of transportation they may take in country

Public Safety also offers pre-departure briefings as desired by the traveler(s).

Office of Global Support

Planning for international projects or excavations can bring up unique issues associated with operating outside of the US. Any questions or concerns regarding the project can be directed to NYU’s Office of Global Support.

Global Support assists the NYU Community organize and undertake activities outside of New York by providing a centralized location for administrative resources and a single point of contact for addressing related questions. Many of the issues covered interact and are dependent on each other so they encourage you to explore the entire site to understand the full range of potential issues. Topics covered are:

NYU’s Office of Global Support can be contacted by email or phone at: 212-992-5650. Communication can be facilitated through the Grants and Excavations Logistics Manager.

To know when to contact the Office of Global Support, see below FAQ, “When Should I Contact Global Support?”.


Arranging Travel for Principal Investigator (PI)/ Project Director

Travel for the Principal Investigator (PI) can be arranged in several different methods:

  • If there is group travel being arranged, the    can purchase your flight on a CTA travel card and be charged directly from the funds used for the fieldwork.
  • Purchase your flight on your corporate American Express card and include in either an advance request for the funds, or a reimbursement request within 30 days of the trip’s conclusion.
  • Purchase your flight using your own funds and include in either an advance request for the funds, or a reimbursement request within 30 days of the trip’s conclusion.

In all scenarios make sure to save all documentation of receipt/cost of ticket, travel itinerary, and boarding passes for either reimbursement or as Proof of Travel.

Arranging Travel for Other Participants or Collaborators

Travel for outside collaborators that is being covered by the project budget may be purchased directly using a CTA travel card.

To request travel booking for participants,  complete the Excavation Travel Booking Request Form and return to the .

NYU Traveler Registration

Per ISAW policy, it is required that travelers register their individual travel for international fieldwork and excavations through NYU Traveler. One can do so from the NYU Traveler website.

Obtaining Travel Releases

All students and NYU employees (including faculty) traveling abroad on NYU organized fieldwork are required to sign ISAW’s Fieldwork Travel Release.

International Health Insurance

All individuals participating in an international project or excavation must have health insurance coverage in case of an emergency.

Employees (includes Faculty):
All NYU employees traveling abroad on an ISAW-sponsored Excavation or Fieldwork project are required to activate their Short Term Global Health Insurance (For NYU Employees Only). Visit to register and download a membership card. This will allow you to validate your coverage globally.

NYU Group Access Code: QHG99999NYU2
There is no additional cost for this coverage.

Guide to Benefits Coverage for NYU Employees Traveling Outside the U.S. (PDF)

There is a GeoBlue student health care plan for travel abroad. The plan has a an additional cost associated with it and is unrelated to the health insurance ISAW provides students.

Contact the Student Health Center for enrollment and additional information or see

More information on what coverage students are required to have when participating on ISAW excavation and international projects will be forthcoming. Contact the with any questions.

Public Safety Security Roster

Before the departure of the PI and his/her team, the PI must complete an NYU Public Safety Security Roster, of all team members participating on their project.

Required roster information includes:
Program information:

  • Program Dates
  • Program Location(s) (coordinates included, if available)
  • Faculty Leader
  • Local on-call/Emergency contact and number
  • Program Accommodation Information (Including hotel accommodation during travel)

Participant Information:

  • Name - Last
  • Name - First
  • NYU ID (if applicable)
  • NetID (if applicable)
  • Affiliation / Institution
  • Role
  • Email
  • DOB
  • Passport Number
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Arrival Information
  • Departure Information
  • Emergency Contact
  • Traveler local phone number (if applicable)
  • Local Travel Details (if applicable)

The template for the roster can be found here.

The Grants and Excavation Logistics Manager can work with the PI to reach out to participants and gather all necessary data to complete the roster. Once completed, the Grants and Excavation Logistics Manager will submit the roster to ISAW’s folder on NYU Box and input the program data and the list of NYU participants (Net ID required) into the NYU Traveler’s academic program administration.

Recommended Travel Guidelines From the Office of Global Services (OGS)

The NYU Office of Global Services makes several recommendations for international travelers, stated below. We advise all travelers to observe these recommendations.

  • Travel with a valid passport, with at least 6 months validity beyond the expected return date and two blank visa pages.
  • Travel with a hard color copy of your passport/visa (carry-on luggage only)
  • Have copies of your passport/visa available electronically (use encryption and secure cloud-based storage - NYU Box available to faculty)
  • Consider leaving copies of your passport/visa with an individual you would think to contact in an emergency
  • Check for any health related needs or immunization requirements to enter destination country on the websites for the CDC and WHO.
  • Learn more about where you are going. These tools are found in [NYU Home Tab] insert link. Users must be logged into NYU and use their net ID and password for access:
  • Register your international travel with the appropriate consulate/embassy abroad:

Supplies/Equipment Purchases

Supplies and/or equipment needed can be purchased in several methods:

  • The can purchase any supplies needed from approved NYU suppliers through i-Buy NYU, and expenses will be charged directly to the chartfield provided.
  • The Grants and Excavations Logistics Manager can purchase any supplies that are not available from NYU preferred vendors using a P-Card, and expenses will be charged directly to the chartfield provided.
  • Supplies/equipment purchases made by the PI directly must be submitted for reimbursement either before travel, or with the travel reimbursement or reconciliation request within 30 days of last day of travel.

Equipment exceeding $3,000 is considered Capital Equipment and the property of NYU. All capital equipment purchased must be tagged and registered with NYU Asset Management.

Requesting a Cash Advance

Fill out the ISAW Excavation Advance Request form, making sure to indicate the chartfield to be charged and exact travel dates, and submit to Grants and Excavations Logistics Manager.

Please note the following:

  • If the project/excavation will have expenses as part of the advance reconciliation incurred outside of your travel dates, you need to make this clear to the Grants and Excavation Logistics Manager at the time of requesting an advance. In this scenario, the dates of the advance need to include all dates when expenses will occur, not just the dates of travel.
  • Request must include documentation of flight as Proof of Travel.
  • Request must include a budget documenting full amount of cash requested.
  • Funds requested must still adhere to NYU’s travel policy.
  • Per diems are not permitted for Fieldwork / Excavation requests.
  • Note that clothing items are not eligible to be purchased directly or reimbursed. Personal clothing is not an allowable business expense even though special apparel may be needed for excavations or fieldwork, such as sun-protective clothing.
  • Any flights or prepaid hotel reservations purchased on a corporate American Express may be advanced directly to AMEX to cover bill.
  • Advance must be submitted to AP Workflow system a minimum of 10 business days before first day of travel to be processed before departure. Request must be provided to Grants and Excavations Logistics Manager complete and within a reasonable amount of time to meet this deadline.
  • Only one advance can be submitted per trip. If an advance has already been submitted and approved through AP workflow it cannot be amended and any further expenses must be made out of pocket and reimbursed after the trip has concluded.

Tracking/Documenting Expenditure and Advance Reconciliation

General Expense Tracking

While in the field, all receipts must be collected and organized under a master log of expenses.

Use the Fieldwork Expense Spreadsheet to track all expenses of trip, those of the advanced funds and/or any additional expenses that need to be reimbursed, including any amounts in a foreign currency and exchange rates. All of ISAW/NYU’s guidelines for documenting business expenses apply in this situation, see general Advance and Reimbursement Policies and Guidelines.

If requested with enough time before departure, Grants and Excavations Logistics Manager can provide a travel binder to use to organize and track expenses/receipts.

Professional Services

Any expenses that are from an employee or an independent contractor performing a service outside of the U.S. needs to complete the NYU form “Statement for Services Performed Outside the United States”.  

Any individual paid wages will also need to sign a statement verifying they have been paid in full, this serves as the receipt of the expense for reimbursement purposes. If desired, the form “Statement for Services Performed Outside the United States” can be used for this purpose, with the amount, statement “Paid in Full,” and a signature line added.

Independent contractors that are not local workers requiring payment from advanced funds must complete a Consultant Agreement and their payment is processed like any other contractor, see Paying Independent Contractors and Businesses.

Submitting Documentation

Submit completed Fieldwork Expense Spreadsheet and all receipts numbered and taped to a standard 8”x11” piece of scrap paper, single sided. The receipts must be listed and organized chronologically in order of date of purchase. The number of the receipt should correspond to the receipt number on the Fieldwork Expense Spreadsheet. An electronic copy of the expense spreadsheet and a scan of all documents and receipts must also be emailed to the Grants and Excavations Logistics Manager along with all hard copy, original documents. All expenses must be submitted within 30 days of last day of travel.

All advance requests must be reconciled in AP Workflow within 30 days of last day of travel, even if no additional funds were spent.

Grant Funded Excavations and International Projects

If your excavation or international workshop is funded by a grant, or sponsored program, please see NYU's Domestic and Foreign Travel Policy for Sponsored Programs for rules and regulations regarding travel.

If your international research is a sponsored activity NYU’s Advisors on Foreign Activities and Research (AFAR) establishes a process for reviewing, assessing, and conducting implementation planning for extramurally funded research and other sponsored projects involving international research or other sponsored activities.

Forms for Excavations and International Projects

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Excavations and International Projects

Do I need to use NYU Traveler to book my flight for my excavation/international fieldwork?
Who is Global Support and How Can They Help?
When Should I Contact Global Support?

Do I need to use NYU Traveler to book my flight for my excavation/international fieldwork?
NYU Traveler was created to provide the NYU community with tools and services for their travel needs and to help keep them safer. By booking through Egencia, an NYU preferred agency, your travel plans will be automatically registered with the NYU Traveler trip registration tool, which NYU has created to provide you with up-to-the-minute information of potential threats to your safety during your travels, and to enable NYU to get in touch with you to render aid in the event of an emergency.

Per ISAW policy, although it is not required to book with NYU's preferred agency, it is required that travelers register their travel for international fieldwork and excavations through NYU Traveler. One can do so from the NYU Traveler website.

Who is Global Support and How Can They Help?
Global Support assists the NYU Community organize and undertake activities outside of New York by providing a centralized location for administrative resources and a single point of contact for addressing related questions.

NYU Global Support will help you identify important issues relating to your activity, obtain information about these issues, engage the appropriate University administrative departments and functional experts, and address these issues to insure your activity can be carried out in line with your expectations and academic mission.

The University maintains functional experts in a range of administrative areas to provide you with technical advice and guidance. Because there are often changes to local country rules and regulations, these University experts, have relationships with third party local country experts, who they at times seek for advice and guidance. Allowing the University functional experts to remain current on the best local country experts ensures you and the University get the best advice at the best price.

When Should I Contact Global Support?
Conducting a University activity outside of New York, whether it is research, short trips (J-term or spring break), exchange programs or study-away programs, may present obstacles as a result of U.S. or local business practices and/or legal requirements. Countries and local jurisdictions each have their own set of rules and regulations, and it can be challenging, if not impossible, to be knowledgeable and current on the rules and regulations of the many countries and jurisdictions where the University operates.

NYU’s Office of Global Support can be contacted by email or phone at 212-992-5650.